Wednesday, January 27, 2010

a little mystery

I've been so sick this week that I haven't thought to much about all this waiting. Charlie and I were talking about paying down our debt, something that has been a big goal of ours, and how we are trying to get it done this year. We have done some Dave Ramsey things before, but this year we are sticking to it tightly and applying every extra cent to the amount of debt we have. It isn't huge, mind you, but we still have some college loans and a credit card to pay off this year.

Currently, his schedule has us paid off in about 6 months. And I told him I thought that was good, but he said he figured it would get interrupted by an adoption. I kinda stared at him. I know he thinks about it too, but he seemed so certain that it would happen.

There are days when I think it won't ever happen.

Don't you have those days?

He said he knows someone will choose us eventually. And I just didn't have that kind of faith. I mean, the law of averages says yes, we will get chosen. But it could take years. I don't want to wait that long, but it isn't in my hands.

I did get the strangest FB message today from a student of mine. Now, I don't allow my students to be my friends on FB. There's just too much personal stuff on there, but this message was from a 4th grade student. The title was "adopt" and all it said was "Are you serious." No question mark or anything else. And the student's name was spelled wrong, but the picture was of her. Weird.

I'm not quite sure what to do, and I think I might talk with her teacher about it. I highly doubt she wants me to adopt her, which would be strange, but I don't know why she would send me that message.

Curiouser and curiouser, as my dad would say.

What do you think?

UPDATE: The teacher and I talked with the student this morning and all she said was she wanted to know if we were really going to adopt a baby. That's it. I told her I didn't talk to students on FB and wouldn't be replying to her, and I told her because the message was so short and abrupt I didn't know how to interpret it. I know people find adoptions in the oddest ways, and I really didn't want her to know a pregnant girl or something. Weird, I say again.

2 comments:

JellyBelly said...

How strange to get a message from a student on FB! I have my privacy settings set so I can't be found using a search. When I first joined FB some kids tried to add me (which was strange since I had just yelled at the kid for doing something stupid in the hallway!). I would definitely talk to the kid's teacher especially since the message sounded like a call for help.

I'm quite curious to see how this all turns out!

WheelbarrowRider said...

I am boggled as well, but going to their teacher is the best course of action. And I would up those securities, personally! I hope you feel better soon.