Saturday, January 16, 2010

adoption is expensive

Okay, this is the post where I whine about adoptions being expensive. Yup. It won't be long and I'll be over it soon, but it's the post where I say it shouldn't be so expensive.

I will also say that infertility procedures shouldn't be so expensive either and should be covered by insurance (it is in Massachusetts, did you know that?)

We are homestudy ready and have a nursery ready to go. I have diapers and formula and a diaper bag that is packed. And while I have mostly girl clothes (from our failed placement) I have both boy and girl bedding.

And I have been researching many different available situations on the internet. There are many out there. And the price tag is steep. Most of the situations are advertised by lawyers and huge adoption consultant firms, who you have to pay, and then you pay an agency on top of that. The lowest adoption I have seen out there is $21,000 and the highest being $38,000.

It's not a cheap thing to do, and I know the staff at the agencies need to get paid. I understand that. I do. But I feel bad that right now there could be a baby waiting that I just can't afford to adopt.

I guess the comfort is in knowing that there probably are couples out there who can afford the steeper price tags. Like Brad and Angelina.

5 comments:

Tracey said...

Ours was $21,000 in total, through a local adoption agency. Good luck.

Maria said...

Amen sister. Adoption costs are one of the mulitiple laments of the process.

I don't know if this will be helpful or not but for us, we look at the cost "limitations" as something that helps bring us to the baby that is meant for us.

My age was another issue. I didn't qualify for many agencies. Even though I was bummed, the narrowed scope made it easier.

I'm not sure if you've read Adoptive Families Magazine (I love it) but a lot of the article ar online. Last issue was an interview with Nia Vardalos (Big Fat Greek Wedding)who had adopted a 3 year girl at the beginning of 09. Interestly she was drawn to foster care after years of frustration with agencies - failed placements followed by no placements. Surprisingly, not everyone with money has an easy time of it.

Here's a link to her article in the new issue:

http://www.adoptivefamilies.com/articles.php?aid=1990

Remember that Rascall Flatts song "Broken Road"? - Well, I'm willing to bet when you're holding your baby that your broken road, the disappointments, the closed doors, the heartache will all make a little more sense that they led you right to your "meant for you" baby. I know that seems a little hard to believe at this stage.

The whining, complaining, lamenting etc. is all part of the process. I'm right there with you. Maybe is our version swolen ankles and sore backs and being nauseus. Who knows. :) Thanks for being real.

KT said...

Do keep in mind that the Adoption Tax Credit is currently in place until December 2010 (I believe)...for 2010, I think the number is at $12,150. IT HELPS TREMENDOUSLY!

Hoping amidst all of the chaos in our economic environment that government continues to extend this benefit; continue to write your senators and congressmen!

Unknown said...

I have a question about the adoption tax credit - how does it work?? Is it the amount of taxes you don't have to pay (if, in fact, you make enough money to pay that much in taxes), or is it like the stimulus package of a few years back, where you GET that money from the government? I'm SO confused by this!

Go ahead and vent away, as far as I'm concerned - I'm right there with you! *hugs*

... said...

I'm a little late on reading this post, but couldn't agree more. I think adoption is beautiful and I do understand some of the costs, but the costs has been one of the big reasons I haven't pursued this.