Wednesday, March 3, 2010

not about me

You might have noticed that my posts of late are not as sad as they were a couple of weeks ago, and that isn't due to any earth shattering news, but due to our Lenten Prayer Buddies.

How do you stop worrying about yourself? You start praying for someone else.

It really works. I hope it's working for you.

I guess the thing is this: we all get so mired in what's happening with us. We stick our heads underground and pretend we don't see the world around us. We pray, asking the Lord to take away our pain, to bring us fertility, to bring us babies. We cry and whine, stomp and say angry things. It's little sheltered corner of the world, our little box of nothing.

But then someone comes along and asks you to pray and focus on someone else. To bring them into focus and make them the center of your prayers. I forget about me, me, me and pray for her. I think about her pain, her hurts, her wishes and desires. Yes, they are similar to mine, but my prayers aren't about me.

I like this concept. I love that it's making me a less selfish person. That's not to say that I won't have more depressed moments, because I know I will. Life is just like that. We all have our ups and downs, and I like that I can share them here. I just know that Prayer Buddies has meant something to me, and I hope it's blooming something in you as well.

Give me your thoughts on it. Share with me what it is doing in your life.

3 comments:

a thorn in the pew said...

I agree. I have so many to pray for lately and it helps me to not cry and not be as self focussed. Your words have encouraged me, too. I have so many people I am praying for lately that I find myself stopping in the silence and saying prayers whenever I can. I want so bad for my prayer buddy to have some hope and answered prayers.

Stacie Mounts said...

Wow. What a great post and wonderful new perspective.

You have no idea how much reading it has helped me today. My husband and I are facing a possible job loss by the end of the month but we have great hope and trust that the Lord will continue to bless us.

We are also helping other families get out of debt through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and are mentoring one single mother in particular. I will pray for her today, absolutely. Thanks for helping me refocus.

God bless you!

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

I love, love, praying for my prayer buddies (we are doing this in a IRL small group I am in as well) every day and there is one particular devotion I started that I believe has helped me forgot some of my own issues and focus on others. I also am so blessed by those praying for me. Lent is still a longs ways from being over and now is when I feel the rubber hits the road...it is in the doldrums of these still cold days of winter, the newness of Lent is wearing off and all that is left is the sheer will to be faithful to our commitments - fast, prayer, almsgiving. I know I have failed on certain occassions, but I try to pick myself back up and remember God's mercy is much greater than anything I could do...so Onward Christian Soldier! ;) Have a great rest of the week and God Bless!