Tuesday, October 27, 2009

can we really advertise?

It's weird to write posts for this blog sometimes, and I'm not even sure how many people keep up with it. When we were expecting the baby in May, we sent out cards inviting people to a celebration that would take place after she was home, and it included this blog address. Many of our church family were keeping up with us through the blog, but I don't know if they are still. I feel like I need to keep posting though, so it won't just sit here.

There isn't anything going on right now with our agency. I did register with AdoptUsKids.org which is a registry of foster kids available for adoption all over the country, but I don't think this will feed us anything. Most of the foster kids in this country are school age children, and we are not certified to adopt a child over 1 year old. It's possible, I guess. I just wanted another way to connect with people out there.

I've read stories before about couples who advertised for their birthmothers. You can send letters to local Ob-gyns and let them know you are approved to adopt, if they ever come across a patient who wants to place a baby for adoption. You can advertise in the newspaper, I guess, like the couple in the movie, Juno. I have this blog, and we are on our agency's website. I don't know what to think, really, about sending letters to doctors, or advertising in the newspaper. I guess I could take out an ad on Craigslist, but that seems to be pushing it. I don't want to force it, but should I be doing my part? What more can I do?

What are your opinions? Do you think there is a way to advertise without being completely tasteless? What would you recommend if you were me? I do trust that people I know would tell someone about us if that subject ever came up. Or you could refer them to our agency, New Life Christian Adoptions. I hesitate to put this up on Facebook, cause someone could really take this the wrong way. Waiting is confusing. Yup.

I just wanted to check in with you all. Hope all is well with you and that whatever your situation, you are handling it with the grace of our Lord. He's there when things are dark, I can tell you that.

3 comments:

2China4Ayla said...

Sissy - I think sending letters to OBGYN offices is a good idea. The newspaper seems wrong to me for some reason, I don't know why it just seems weird. Have you and Charlie talked anymore about maybe going International? It is so hard to make these decisions - they feel impatient and impulsive yet I know you feel the clock ticking and you so desperately want to be a Mother. Seven years, several failed adoptions and finally we held Olivia in our arms. We too started out hoping to adopt domestically and it just never would work out. God had already planned our path, we were just not privy to it at the time. I hope that soon your path will be revealed and you will be the wonderful Mother I know you were created to be.

Maria said...

First of all, don't stop documenting this important part of your journey....even if no one else ever reads it (even though they do. The waiting park stinks - but I guarantee it will change your heart and the way you will parent. And what a gift for your children to know how much they were loved and waited for - even before you knew them!

Secondly, I echo your concern about advertising. We're finding ourselves in the same boat again. I cried all the way through compiling our adoption profile...feeling like it should be titled, "Why I think I'm better than you (and all the other potential adoptive moms) to raise your child." I feel like I'm selling myself to vulnerable women. I know there's a bigger picture - but a lot of it just doesn't feel right.
A friend of mine who does sonograms said that he was approached by one of his pregnant patients asking him if he wanted another child. The mother wasn't wanting to or able to parent. He told me he didn't know what to do or who to call. That might be another untapped resource in addition to OBGyns.
Praying for you. M<><

Rebekah said...

Well, first of all, from my experiences, God has is all under control. But I think mentioning to your Ob is not at all tasteless. When I gave my baby up for adoption, my Ob was so excited for me. He delt a lot with woman who had trouble concieving and he would hug me every time I came in for a check up. Definitely, let your Ob know!