Thursday, June 16, 2011

no summer vacation

Well. This is the first year that I'll be working a 9 to 5 job all summer instead of having my standard 8 week vacation. It's odd. I know every other industry except education works all year long, and people get by, and it's normal, and I shouldn't whine, but for my working career I've had summers off.

I did take a week of vacation in April, and it was a glorious, peaceful week. The cruise. My laid back with a little adventure, book reading cruise. It was fantastic, but I wish that I was going to have more down time this summer. It's not gonna happen. Gotta get used to it.


I'm so grateful that I have a job, and that should be the point. End of sentence.

I'm so grateful I have my sweet husband. He is wonderful. End of sentence.

And I don't know when we will be parents, but I'm hopeful that will happen. I don't know any more about the birth mothers that our agency had in mind for us, other than some things have happened and they have missed meetings. As it is in adoption, what is urgent often takes weeks to play out. You send something off one day, plan and hope and the baby is already born and then back to square one when they choose someone else. Sheesh. I really don't want to again renew our home study and it seems like we just finished it in December, but December will be here just as quickly. Just as quickly as the two years have gone by since the failed adoption.

So, here I sit, thinking of a nice quiet summer, and knowing I'll be back in the office tomorrow.

Sigh.

6 comments:

KT said...

Architects pretty much work 52 weeks a year; I often dream about having a summer off. I can't imagine how nice that would be!

JellyBelly said...

I guess I shouldn't complain about my three week gig....

Teachers deserve the break! If not we lose our minds on the kids and no one wins!

Made For Another World said...

I'm a teacher and if I had to go back to working summers, I'd feel the same as you ;) There is so much rythmn to the school year. It would be hard to adjust to the real world! Take it easy and enjoy the long evenings ....

Frizzy said...

Ugh! I so sorry to hear this but think of all the fun things you'll be able to do with the extra money. Such cute clothes and things to buy when the baby arrives is just one of a million things I can think of.

We got an update from our agency last week. 15 birthmom's at the house and 10 have not been matched with families or made their final decision. It gives me hope but there are still so many unknown factors and variables that can change. Continuing to pray for you all during your wait. Each time I see a post from you I wonder, "Is today your day?"

Colleen said...

At this time of year I always think "I should have been a teacher" but then when we go on vacation in September when everyone goes back to school and nothing is crowded or when we headed to Disney in January and don't have to wait in line.....the perks are on both sides! I think the major advantage to education is the 2 weeks off at Christmas....try having a vacation block and have to work 40 hrs a week including the holiday. That is when you really think about the education field!

the misfit said...

Every year as the weather gets warmer I have this rising feeling of unconscious joy, and when I stop to examine it, I realize that my head is full of images of long uninterrupted afternoons full of novels and lemonade, and picnics and window-shopping in skirts and sandals, and tons of free time to be social. And I remind myself, again, that that is not what happens. I have to work all summer. Year after year, the feeling persists: my brain thinks I have summers off. For a while I thought it was because I had graduated so recently, but it's been five years now...I can't shake the feeling. I think I might need to find a profession that DOES have summers off.