Wednesday, June 1, 2011

it hasn't been 24 hours

It started last night about 9pm with an adoption situation that was a "stork drop." Baby girl born on the 30th, needs family, send home study immediately.

So I emailed and asked and got a response that the situation was still available, and it was on. It was in the price range, the factors seemed to be lining up. Oh, and I should mention that Charlie was at the grocery store while I was doing all this. When he came home, I told him what was going on, and Lord, bless him, he has a hard time with these "jump" situations. He just can't compute. He started asking me all these questions, most of them that I had already answered and well...

Well, the story isn't about getting frustrated at 11:30 at night with your husband.

Anyway, I scanned and sent our home study and profile booklet this morning, then waited on pins and needles. They wanted to be able to grant custody to adoptive parents today, and this baby was in Texas, so if it was going to be us, we would need to get on a plane. At 12:30.

At 10, I emailed and asked if they got it. No response.

At 11, I asked again and said if they wanted us to come we needed to know now. No response.

At 12:30, I figured it was over, and then they emailed and asked for my phone number and I was hopeful again. The woman said the director would call me shortly after 1.

By 3, no one had called and I was wondering what happened. The birth mother was supposed to sign at 4.

At 3:30 or so, I got an email that they had chosen someone else.

Bummer.

All of this happening at work, by the way. I was trying to be productive all the while thinking about flying to Texas, what we'd need for 10 days, who I'd need to call to stay with the dogs, what I'd need to pack for the baby, etc. It's a wonder I got anything done.

I was also praying all day. Lord, let me hear your voice.

I'm disappointed, but getting better at being disappointed because that is really all I have known in adoption so far. I'm used to it. When I went to talk to my HR director to let her know I might be running out of the office to get on a plane, just in case, I told her what would probably happen would be I would get an email that they had chosen someone else. And that is exactly what happened.

Someday.

11 comments:

Cathy said...

I'm so sorry.

Prayers.

JellyBelly said...

Oh Sweetie, my heart is so sad for you. I'm offering some extra prayers for you!

Kelly said...

((hugs)) so sorry!

Bailey's Leaf said...

No!!!! I'm so sorry. :(

Alison said...

I wish you weren't getting so good at dealing with disappointment. That's one area in which we never want to succeed.

I'm praying it's your turn next.

Also? LOL about the this post isn't about getting frustrated with your husband at 11:30 pm line. :)

Amy @ This Cross I Embrace said...

Omgosh, that is just horrible :( What a thing to have to go through, when you've already been through so much. I am SO sorry. Will be praying for you and Charlie.

Frizzy said...

I have to agree with everything in Alison's comment.

Only God knows when but for sure it WILL happen for you SOMEDAY!

All in His Perfect Timing said...

I'm so, so sorry that this happened. All the adrenaline and excitement crushed. I am sad and angry for you. I wish it was your time. You'll be in my prayers!

Patiently Waiting...... said...

I am sorry. Your turn is coming.....hang in there. God is with you every step of the way.

the misfit said...

I guess maybe it's a mercy that it was all over so quickly but...I don't think you should have to go through that at all. All those good spiritual people are always telling us how we should learn to trust, and the lesson life is teaching us is that we should not have hope, because it will be disappointed. Your turn had better be SOON, my dear.

Ann said...

I'm so sorry, Sissy...