Saturday, January 3, 2009

paperwork

Round 1 of paperwork has been interesting. And kind of a learning process. In this round we had to complete a(n):

application
the CSC
financial statement
medical history form for each of us
progress report agreement
policies and procedures agreement
legal risk agreement
non-identifying summary
online parenting course form
couple participation statement for parenting courses




I already blogged about the CSC and how hard it was. The other forms weren't too bad, but some took a while to get through. The financial statement alone was 6 pages and asked about all our accounts and insurance policies and tax forms and credit cards. Both my husband and I had to work on that one, sort of tag teaming back and forth while one dug something out of the file cabinet or the other got online to check something out.

On the policy form we had to each initial in about 100 spots indicating that we understand all the specifics of the way their process works. It's a lot to read and comprehend, but I think the process is pretty straightforward. The agency just wants you to understand how they work and what you can expect as you move through the process.

We are getting ready to send it off this week and it should take about 2 weeks for them to look at all the forms. Once this round is approved, then we move on to the homestudy or PPA process, which is going to be even more complex. We will have to provide verification of all the things we just gave figures on and show them our birth certificates and marriage license.

One step at a time.

3 comments:

Frizzy said...

You're getting closer! Keep up the hard work. The faster you do it the sooner you'll have that little one in your arms. That's what drove us.

2China4Ayla said...

It is overwhelming. I remember I was so anxious (both times) to get through the mounds of paper known as the paperchase. Once it was all done and all I could do was wait....well, I wished I had more paperwork. I know I am NUTS, but I felt as if I were in control of some aspect of the adoption while working on the paperwork. When I had to sit and wait on other people it drove me nuts. Yes, I have some control issues....yes, God is often working on that in my life. Ouch!

Allie said...

Is the adoption process in NC that complicated? I know states vary, I've maybe had a quarter of the documents you describe (I'm in AZ), and an eighth of the hassle you're describing.

We discussed the aspects of the CSC you described in the first home study yesterday (yeah I gotta get that post up! lol, still recovering). The classes are strongly recommended but not mandatory.

I look forward to reading about your journey and comparing notes.

Allie