But the big news was that my husband left his job at our church to become a middle school language arts teacher. It was a big change for us, because my husband's college degree is in Bible, not in Education and he is going in Lateral Entry. It all happened very quickly and he was hired at an inner city school with a tough group of kids. He really wants to have an impact on the lives of kids and he feels a passion to do it through education.
The first few weeks of school have been very hectic for all of us, although Jackson has transitioned the easiest. He loves his sitter and was happy to see her back after the summer break. She takes great care of him and does all sorts of neat pre-pre-school things, like helping him learn to stack and sort. My start of year was good and I feel more settled with elementary school children this year and am focusing on many new skills, like working with scissors. Have you ever tried to teach someone how to hold scissors? It is really hard! It comes naturally to us now, but when you first pick up scissors, they are hard to control. We have been practicing with kindergarteners and it is kinda cute, a little funny and also a tad dangerous when they start cutting towards themselves.
At home we are trying to tackle a load of projects. Here is our list:
- chimney repair: our chimney/fireplace has been damaged since we bought the house 6 years ago. Now, when it rains the water is coming down into the den. Not very much, mind you, but it is discoloring the bricks, in a way.
- landscaping: our backyard is currently a mish mash of plants and mulch. There is no grass, and there are two huge piles of mulch waiting to be spread. I would like grass for Jackson next summer. So... help must be found.
- dishwasher: the dishwasher has stopped working. A replacement has been found.
- refrigerator: It has problems with the water and ice maker. We don't use much ice, but when we do need it, it is annoying not to have a working appliance. I would also like to be able to use the water through the door! Working on a replacement as well.
- attic renovation: we have been SLOWLY working on renovating our attic into a master bedroom. We were doing well on it, but them Jackson came along and our money went to the lawyer.